Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Wanna Take a Walk?

Yesterday I had my Muga Scan (which, btw, already came back normal) and today I am still a bit radioactive with a chance of superpowers. I don't usually like to boast about my superpowers, but there has been so much curiosity out there as to how precisely they manifest themselves in me, and, frankly, how I deal with it all, that I thought I'd share JUST ONE superpower moment from yesterday.

After getting up practically at the crack of dawn* to go to the hospital and get my radioactive shot out of the top secret vial it comes in, I took Matt to meet a friend at a coffee shop**, went to the bank for Amanda, stopped off for a carrot juice at a little Mediterannean Cafe on my way home (where I ran into Dave and one of his partners having lunch... so I put my carrot juice on their tab ;)), then I went home and took a SUPERPOWER NAP, before waking up just in time to go pick up Mikey at a Film Camp he is attending this week.***

Now normally I'm a decent napper. Nothing special about my napping abilities. My naps don't even pretend to come close to a power nap, but they are not exactly cat naps either. But my amped up one of yesterday blew the lid off the definition of napping. I could just see it in Amanda's face when she came to wake me to go pick up Mikey. But I think that's enough boasting.

What I want to blog about, is Cincy's Race for the Cure 2009, which is coming up on September 12. Last year I walked my first race for the cure, cancer free, 2 weeks after my double mastectomy on August 29th. I don't really remember much of that day except for being so pumped up on good vibes from my family and friends who walked with me, that I made the whole walk. At least I have pictures documenting me standing on the finish line.This year I am looking forward to doing it again, even coherently. This year's finish line will also be a landmark for me: a year, cancer-free. Just wanted to thank all of you for all the ways you have carried me through this year, and invite any of you to take a walk with me on September 12. Click HERE if you'd like to check out our Team Evanshire, and come walk with us.

I totally should not be radioactive with a chance of superpowers by then, so it won't be hard to keep up.

*I'd just like to say, that originally I thought it would be a good idea to go radioactive the earlier the better, since I wasn't supposed to have anything to eat or drink until after. But I hadn't thought through it, because I don't know what they were thinking, giving superpowers to someone who has not had their caffeine yet. It really could've been a dangerous situation if I had not used my powers for good. Plus it was good that we were heading straight to a coffee shop after. For Matt.

**A friend and I are doing a class for our boys on coffee shops, since we are all interested in one day starting one. The boys are going to be blogging the whole experience as they sip their way around Cincy, coffee cup by coffee cup, and review coffee shop by coffee shop. I will give a plug to it here when it's up and running.

***I just noticed that on the day I had my superpowers, I got to do one thing for each of my kiddos, which isn't really a superpower thing, but always makes a day seem like a good mommy day from my view. Which is way better than having superpowers any day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Julie,
I would love to come and walk with the Evanshire Team on Sept 12th but my sister (Joan & Wayne) and neice (Pegg & Jon) are coming up to Manchester for family time on Sept 10th for ten days. If possible, I will see if they can go! Doubtful, however.
THUMBS UP FOR SUPER POWERNAPS! At my age it's kinda like just passing out into never-never land! And Chuck goes out like a light anymore! Feels great!
Love and Prayers,
Becky and Chuck

Anonymous said...

I'm sure, in my opinion, you are one of the best mom's I've seen around since 1985. God bless you for all you do for your family, your children and your friends.
Love you
Auntie Carol

Anonymous said...

Jewels:

Congrats on passing your exam and way to go! Freedom from peas for one year! You are a rock star!

I would love to walk with you on Sept. 12. But! So why is it scheduled for Sept. 12th? I'll be in Indy for the Labor Day weekend and then back home. I won't be able to participate in the Race for the Cure in person but I will be there in spirit!

Much love!

-me

P.S. Oh an I totally agree...you are one of the most awesome moms out there.

Be well!