Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Roman Holiday - Day 3

Today we took a fantastic tour of the Colosseum, Palantine Hill and The Roman Forum. It is so crazy just walking around Rome and then you turn a corner and there's the Colosseum. Like it's just an everyday thing. How do people ever get used to it? Or I guess it's sad if they do.

An interesting thing to me, is that, yesterday the guy who tried to tour us at the Vatican, was from Boston, and today, one of our tour guides, was a bloke from Scotland. I'm 99% sure that I want to move somewhere cool and become a tour guide when I grow up or finish homeschooling, whichever comes first.

I didn't know it wasn't first called the Colosseum because of it's colossal size, which, it is, but rather it got nicknamed the Colosseum after a colossal statue of Nero that used to stand outside in front of it.

Very awe inspiring and sacred feeling site. I thought it would be really somber to stand in a place where the blood of martyrs was spilled for sport. And it was that, but it was kinda cool connecting the dots from the blood of the martyrs to the seeds of my faith. Made me very grateful for those who have gone before me. And an appropriate arena to feel and fill with said gratitude.
We didn't rent those motorbikes and ride around it like Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck in Roman Holiday yet. I think there's a wee bit more traffic whipping around these days, but it's still on the wish list. As is the Mouth Of Truth. Dave hasn't even seen the movie yet, so he just goes along blindly with me as I weave in a little bit of Audrey along with the sacred and sublime.
Speaking of, we did make it to the Spanish Steps tonight. We met up with a friend from home and now Rome, Juliet, and took a lovely late night walk pass the Trevi Fountain and to the Spanish Steps, and then for a night cap of gelato! This time I had coconut. How much fun to come all the way to Rome and get to run into and around with a familiar face. Not to mention the most lovely one in Rome.
Ciao.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you two are having a great time! The Colosseum picture looks like you're having blue skies and lovely weather too. I'm rather enjoying Rome through your blogging...where we goin' tomorrow?!
Chris

Auntie Cheryl said...

My vote is the homeschooling will happen first! Growing up isn't all its cracked up to be, anyway...you know?!
I notice Dave has a cap on to protect his head from the sun...where is yours?! (I know I sound like a mom, but can't help it)
Thanks for sharing your feelings, sights, and tastes of Rome with us!
Love to you both!

Anonymous said...

Where R U?
Did you go on a tour or something?
Mom/Becky

After Wave said...

MOM GET BETTERl